Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 Year In Review

Life can't always go your way... 2015 was THE YEAR for me!!! So many new and great things happened in my life that changed my life for the better. I couldn't have asked for more, but somehow I had hoped for it. I hoped for PRs, as many race finishes (if not more) and all kinds of milestones! Instead, life hit me with challenges, tribulations and a journey to remind me that it ain't easy...

The year started off with injury coinciding with the first Ironman finish hangover. Then pre-maturely racing a handful of races with the minor injury only perpetuated the problem (in addition to not being ready for some of the races). As the year went on, work only got more time consuming while training was supposed to pick up. By the time I completed IM 70.3 Hawaii, it was a steady downward trend from there. The China travel picked up and I reached my 90 day limit by August. 12 hour days turned into 16 hour days and many sleepless nights. I somehow went on to do IM 70.3 Vineman and the SF 1st half marathon. Work really hit hard in the next few months just barely easing up after Halloween. By then the Honolulu Marathon was basically upon me, with the holidays just around the corner. The whole combination meant I wasn't ready for a race I was determined to do... And I paid the price...

I sit here writing with pains in both feet, pain above my right knee and reviewing race results from a failed 2016 year. This was supposed to be the year I realized my potential... The year I hoped to podium at least once... The year I would leverage my recent Ironman finish and catapult to better triathlon performance! Instead, I sit reflecting on pain, failure and what went wrong. So to that, I say:

(Photo credit: http://diycandy.com/2016/12/new-years-printables-bye-felicia/)

In fact, 2016 was so devastating that I have all of 2 races lined up: Redondo Beach Sprint Triathlon and IM 70.3 NOLA. The former is my annual race which is a tribute and reminder of my very first entry into this sport. The latter is my destination race for 2017! But otherwise, there's nothing on the calendar... at all. I think I will use the beginning of the year to shore up my base fitness and reflect on where I am and where I want to go. That's just how devastating 2016 has been to me...

If there's any good advice for 2017, it might just be:

(Photo credit: http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment