Sunday, January 7, 2018

2017 Year in Review

A little late to getting to this year's recap. I spent the holiday season spending time with family both in Vegas for Christmas and then Hawaii for New Years and my gramps' 95th birthday. It was great quality time well spent with loved ones, but it was also a very fat kid affair all around. I tried to mitigate that with daily 3 mile runs and a handful of gym workouts, but it did not counteract it all. So instead, I start the year at 190 lbs, 15 lbs from where I want to be and 5 lbs from where I normally am. Definitely not a good start...

(photo credit: http://fairytailfanon.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fail_Meme.jpg)

Getting back to 2016, it appears that last year I was a bit brief with my assessment. Shame on me! I won't go as crazy as 2015, but definitely want to take a look at a now 3-year analysis of some major details. Let's start taking a look at the steps trends:



The month by month trends tell us a few things. I actually started off 2015 with the fewest amount of steps, but I really built up 2015 in prep for Wildflower Long Course and then went crazy high over the summer, in prep for Ironman Florida. In 2016, I was generally flat across the board except for October/November. That represents somewhat of a slow time during the summer and a quick ramp for the Honolulu Marathon. In 2017, I generally started higher than the previous 2 years, but I never exceed the pace of 2015 until October in prep for the NYC Marathon.

What this tells me is that I probably need to start the year off strong and then keep riding that momentum higher towards 2015 type levels in order to be in better shape. This is key if I really want to PR the Chicago Marathon and take my one shot at a Boston Qualifier. Obviously my work schedule will play a large part in all of this, but I'm hopeful I can drop some weight, pickup some speed/strength and get close. Having the EMR test data should help tremendously as well!



I threw in the year totals just to say one quick point: 600k more steps in 2015 than either of the last 2 years! What?!?!?! I mean that's a huge gap and speaks to all the training I did in 2015 and that is why I was in such better shape. With that knowledge, I hope to consciously take that into account and get in more steps (whether it be running or swimming, as cycling doesn't log any steps). Such a crazy gap tho! Never would have guessed based on the month-by-month comparison!

From a racing standpoint, 2016 was relatively light. I did a pair of bike rides with Amanda that didn't go as well. PR'ed my annual RB Tri but failed to hit my sub 1-hour goal by 20 sec. Got a 2nd place finish at Castaic Lake but missed first place by 10 sec. Did Malibu with strep throat and was slower but still under 3 hrs after pushing thru a dropped chain for the first time in a race. Had that super disappointing cancellation of the NOLA 70.3. And ended with a personal worst time at the NYC Marathon, all those bridges and gradual grade increases taken into consideration. All-in-all, 2016 was kind of a fail from a racing standpoint!

But as with any failure, it's best to learn from it and get better than sulk and cry about it. The step data helps, the EMR test gives me areas to improve upon, hopefully work allows me a better opportunity to train consistently, gotta seriously clean up the diet and just generally do better.

Looking ahead, I've set my sights on 2 major races. First, I'm looking to tackle Oceanside 70.3. Due to the crappy experience of NOLA 70.3, I'm disappointed by the Ironman brand and so Oceanside is my only 70.3 as I had signed up way in advance. This is definitely my first half of the year "A" race. Second, I'm looking at the Chicago Marathon as my last half of the year "A" race. This will be my 2nd Abbott World Marathon Majors race. It's supposedly a flat and fast one so I'm hoping that I can get my training up to par and give Boston my best shot. It's a crazy and unlikely goal as I've never been close to a BQ time, but it's worth a shot with nothing else on the calendar.

We'll see how things go. More races will definitely be added to the calendar. I mean I need to keep up my Honey Stinger and Team Nuun ambassadorships so I can get them again next year. Plus, I just really love racing in general. Training not so much, but racing definitely.

With that said, 2017 be gone and 2018 here we go!!!

(photo credit: https://www.centage.com/3-key-trends-for-cfos-2018/)

No comments:

Post a Comment