Saturday, October 3, 2015

Pledge Week 12: DOMS and Macca

Times eaten fast food this week = 0
Total pledge amount this week = $35 (7 days * $5)
Total pledge amount to date = $430 ($250 contributed to date)
Funds raised to date = $2400

----------

No fast food yet again this week! Getting in a great grove in the final push towards IM FL. 35 days and counting... oh boy...

(Photo credit: http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com/creator/)

What is also happening, is DOMS. DOMS is an acronym for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Often times, this is used in reference to bodybuilders and the "48 hour rule" that says you're more likely to be sore 2 days after a workout rather than immediately after or the next day. There's all kinds of studies and things trying to explain it, but that's not really important haha. What is important is that the phenomenon IS REAL!!!

And it really has lingered for almost a week. Granted, I did put my body through 70.3 grueling miles... But still... I'm definitely still sore :(

(Photo credit: http://somethingjustfunny.blogspot.com/2014/11/animal-memes-trying-to-get-out-of-bed.html)

It may sound like I'm complaining (and I kinda am) but I did persevere and get several workouts in this week while only taking Monday as an off day and doing 2-a-days Wed-Fri.

Thursday was almost not going to be a 2-a-day, but then Macca happened. Macca aka Chris McCormack came and spoke at the LA Tri Club first Thursday event this week. He's a former pro triathlete and a multiple Kona Ironman World Championship winner. In short, he's kind of a big deal in the triathlon circuit. And while he did make many points, answer a lot of questions and talk just like an Aussie, there were two important points that I took away.

The first point was something some of my friends really took to heart more than myself. His point was that triathlon racing and training is going to be hard. It is going to take everything you have and take you to some really dark places. My friends are pretty awesome and while they've had some funny stories in both training and racing, I'm not as familiar with their struggle to know if they've been to the dark side.

(Psalm 23, Photo credit: http://www.likeisha.com/?p=204)

But for me, I've been there. My race maladies post summarizes most of my experiences, but I definitely have been there. I've cramped so hard I thought about quitting. I've crashed, been woosy and bloodied and wondered if I was okay. I've even flatted and realized that my shot at winning a small race just deflated away. In short, I've had those dark moments where the darkest thoughts creep into your mind and the easiest thing to do is quit. But somehow, some way, I picked myself up, put one foot in front of the other and kept going. So yes, his words definitely resonated with me, but I was happier knowing that my warrior mentality was something we had in common.

The second point was the reason I went for a swim later that evening. And his point was summarized in one word: consistency. The key to being successful in triathlon is to be consistent. Be consistent with your diet, with your training, with your focus, with everything. Be consistent. Every day isn't gonna be your best day. You're not always gonna eat right. You're not always going to have your best run. You're not always going to feel great. But you should always try and do something. I don't know who made the quote famous, but he referenced a quote I had heard or read before:

(Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/katrinawear/fitness-quotes/)

Or said differently...

(Photo credit: http://www.zazzle.com/i+really+regret+that+workout+gifts)

And that is the most important point I took home. Do the workout. Even if you only do half of what your plan says. Even if you only make it 3 miles instead of 13. Doing something keeps you moving forward and progressing to your goal. Because you'll never regret doing something, you'll only regret not doing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment