Friday, July 17, 2015

Pledge Week 1: Success, but Not Without Cravings

Times eaten fast food this week = 0
Total pledge amount to date = $30 (6 days * $5)

----------

Week 1 of Ironman Florida training has come to a close. It's been a pretty solid week both in the eating and exercise department!

Not only did I also bike 15+ miles to and from work, but I also got in all the workouts I wanted and even set a half marathon PR on Tuesday morning!!!

(Snapshot of my Garmin Connect PRs)

While getting in all my workouts and the lengths/distances was tough, eating relatively clean was probably a MUCH bigger challenge!

I'll say that I immediately had cravings for McDonald's on Sunday evening after getting a big win in my baseball game! I had the go ahead RBI single late in the game and was just so pumped to keep our team undefeated, that I really felt like a reward was well-earned! Alas, I stayed strong on the drive home and avoided McDonald's.

But each day during the week, all I did was crave some fast food. One day it was McDonald's. The next day it was Pizza Hut. A couple days later my roommate came home with Jack in the Box and I just about cried. There was just so much temptation and an almost willingness to put it in my system! But I stayed strong. I thought about how lucky I am to be able to eat almost anything I want and so I must learn to be responsible.

(Photo credit: https://educpreneur.wordpress.com)

So here we are on Friday evening. I feel pretty happy that I was able to resist temptation for the week and keep up the right amount of workouts. It'll be important to keep things going for long enough to make this a good habit. I'll write about this on a future post, but studies have shown that you can form habits by doing it daily for about 3 weeks straight. And this habit of avoiding bad foods will be critical for keeping up my training and lowering my weight. Because it's tough enough to do an Ironman, but it's even tougher to do one significantly overweight and...

(Photo credit: http://memegenerator.net/instance/53428057)

No comments:

Post a Comment