Saturday, July 25, 2015

Triathlon and My Humble Beginnings

Today, as I prepare for my 11th triathlon in 2 years and my 8th sprint triathlon, I decided to look back at how it all started. My burst onto the triathlon scene was quite the spectacle... I mean it was epically hilarious!

I had a pair of friends who had just done a couple triathlons within the last few months of 2012 and early 2013, a few sprints and an olympic. They started to love it so much they wanted to share the enthusiasm with all of their friends and see who they could get to join in on the fun. An email was sent talking about the sport of triathlon, the high it provides, how flat the Redondo Beach Triathlon would be and why we would suffer so much FOMO if we didn't at least try it. And for those that don't know me... I constantly suffer FOMO!!!

(Photo credit: http://memegenerator.net/instance/60595864)

But triathlon sounded daunting, even a sprint. I mean swim 0.5 miles, bike 6 miles and run 2.5 miles? I could barely run 1 mile and I had never done those 3 things back-to-back-to-back, much less have done two of them! In fact, I didn't even own a bike because my college beach cruiser was stolen since living at the beach. Would I really succumb to FOMO with all that?

Initially I said no. There was just no way...

(Photo credit: http://memegenerator.net/AinT-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-That/caption)

But somehow, I made a rash decision in the 11th hour. At first, I told no one. I showed up to packet pickup and made the call to sign up when I discovered spots were available. For an hour, I still told no one. To be honest, I was a little scared at what I just did. But soon enough, I came to my senses and had to tell one of my friends because I started to freak out...

(Photo credit: https://www.reddit.com/domain/troll.me)

I need a bike. I need some bike gear. Do I swim with anything in the ocean? What is this thing called transition? There were so many unknowns. With a little help from a few different friends, I scrambled together the most entertaining set of triathlon equipment for my first race.

Gear:
Tyr triathlon kit I bought at REI immediately after calming myself down
-They didn't even have my size in the same color so I had a red bottom with a green top LOL


Swim:
Surfing spring wetsuit that was so old it didn't really fit
Old Speedo goggles that probably cost me like $5 on clearance some time ago

Bike:
Friend's mountain bike helmet that fit somewhat awkwardly
Friend's mountain bike with platform pedals and gears/shifters I had no idea how to use
-Ridiculously enough, I unknowingly left the suspension unlocked so I was bouncing around like a fool (the picture below shows the ridiculousness and captures the pain I was in)



Run:
Nike sport sunglasses I had from college
Old mountain cross trainers
Sleeveless t-shirt I stupidly wore on the run

Nutrition:
One Gu pack
BCAA mixed drink (this helps for body building but didn't help at all for a sprint triathlon lol)

All-in-all, I was ill prepared and it's hilarious looking back. And I think the best part about looking back and laughing at yourself, is also realizing how far you've come! Much has changed in 2 years!

When all was said and done though, I had crossed that finish line just like everyone else, had an endorphin high and enjoyed the (first of many) post-race tradition of delicious, fatty food and adult beverages!!!

2 comments:

  1. HAHA this is great!!! That pic of you on your bike is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha ya I look so silly with my non-matching tri kit, my cholo mountain bike, my horrible form and my clearly-too-small-for-me helmet! That first race was such a hoot! I looked like such a n00b!!!

      Delete