Friday, August 7, 2015

Pledge Week 3 and 4: Pains of Moving and Temptations

Times eaten fast food this week = 0
Total pledge amount this week = $70 (14 days * $5)
Total pledge amount to date = $135
Funds raised to date = $1345

----------

Sorry about the lack of posts folks. A series of very unfortunate events occurred in the last two weeks and I didn't have time to make any new posts.

(Photo credit: http://memegenerator.net/instance2/1271474)

But I sulked a bit, I slept it out and I made some lemonade out of those lemons!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Xg1vVkIh8

One of the big things that troubled me during the first week was moving. I was moving from an apartment to a townhouse and had to do so within the week and the weekend. And boy did I have A LOT of crap... After 5 days of a morning car load and an evening car load, I had the entire weekend to move big stuff with my parents' pickup truck. And then I still needed one more day of a car load before finally getting to the new place. It was a ton of work between moving, getting the house setup, triathlon training and work. Those things took over my life that first week!

Another pain was not having internet! You never realize how dependent you are on things until they're taken away... I really took the internet for granted! To be fair, I did have access at work and I did have a phone, so I wasn't cutoff. But I couldn't write blog posts during work and I didn't really want to do them from my phone... First world problems... I know...

(Photo credit: http://memegenerator.net/instance/57966864)

The second week was more of a build up of a ton of little issues in which car trouble was the straw that broke the camels back. I had a mini mental breakdown because of it Wednesday night. But as mentioned, I picked myself up and started knocking out problems on Thursday and today and was pretty successful at it!

Enough whining and first world problems, and back to the food challenge!

(Photo credit: http://memegenerator.net/instance2/1271737)

For me personally, food is a source of comfort. When I'm down and feeling blue, eating is definitely one way I cope. And then on top of that, eating fast food is my go-to remedy when times are tough! So as you can imagine, these 2 stressful weeks were also 2 weeks of many temptations. There were so many times where I wanted to just run to The Golden Arches or login to PizzaHut.com or just simply get an Oreo Cookie Shake from Jack's. There were definitely a couple times where I almost broke down and did it.

But in those moments of weakness, I thought about what my goals were, why I was doing this pledge and then, most importantly, that these struggles pale in comparison to what little Ava is going through. And she fights on every day, so why the heck can't I just push away a desire to go to McDonalds!

Well I did and I'm definitely glad I did it. There was some major character building there and also a great reflection on just how small some problems are. And more importantly, we should always remember that even when times are tough and we think no one has it worse, there's probably someone out there going through something more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment