Sunday, November 8, 2015

JOSHUA IZUMIGAWA... YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

Possibly the greatest feeling I've felt in my entire life so far!

Making my way to the finish line...
Running down the shoot...
Making it to the red carpet...
All the fans...
The bright lights...
Roar and cheer of the crowd...
My name being said (correctly) on the speakers...
YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

There just hasn't been anything as euphoric, as fulfilling and as special as crossing that line!

I'll write a race report eventually when I can really think and be really coherent. Right now, I'm just tired and pooped but just so happy. It was a long journey. So many ups and downs. And to be so nervous for Race Day. To hope that everything went well enough.

I mean other than the complete wreckage and breakdown that resulted in me falling apart at Mile 21, everything else went relatively well. That's not to say that I performed well, because I didn't have my best race. But most things went well enough to give me a fighting chance!

The swim was packed due to a rolling start and there was a lot of times getting kicked and grabbed and punched. And the swell getting out for lap two was rough. Not to mention that the swim was announced at 77 degrees meaning that it was NOT wetsuit legal. So naturally, I played by the rules to be in the official AG results and went sans wetsuit. But I got it done and at a time that wasn't too terrible.

The bike went about as well as I could have hoped for. No mechanical issues. No flats. Nutrition relatively on point with no cramping. The only issue was somewhat gastrointestinal... ie... I had to poop... Twice... I'll have to figure that one out eventually, but I'd say that using the bathroom was a nice relief as opposed to trying to hold it in. We even had a little bit of rain around mile 70 to 90, but it was a welcomed occurrence and didn't result in any significant challenges or anything due to the flat and straight course at that part. But again, got it done and was at a respectable time.

The run went well enough until Mile 21. I was making some good time and picking up the pace a little bit during loop one. I even got to the dreaded Mile 18 marker feeling strong. But I hit that Mile 21 marker and it was all downhill from there. Legs locked up. Water, salt, bananas, gatorade, coke... Nothing worked... A lot of walking and then running for a few minutes before walking again. It was terrible. I actually I almost cried. I kept thinking that Ava would fight, that my tri friends would want me to fight and that I can't be so weak as to walk this close to the finish. But there was no motivation to pull me out of the depths then. Nothing I tried mentally could get my body feeling good enough to run that last 5 miles. I succumbed to the dark side and just walked then ran...

But after walking midway from Mile 24 to the aid station at Mile 25, I mustered up every once of strength and fight in my body to run that final 1.5+ miles! That's also where the crowd lines the street and the cheering... Oh the cheering! I mean that uplifts you and helps pull you from the depths! I mean it took everything I had but I fed off the energy and the will to get to that line with strength! But...

I did it!!! I AM AN IRONMAN!!! And nothing feels better!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment