Friday, September 18, 2015

Ian Murray Bike Fit Experience

One benefit of being part of a triathlon club is the access to many, many resources and discounts and coaches who can offer their advice (although not always for free). The last two weeks, I took advantage of a couple such perks.


First, I went to a bike clinic focused on tire changing. Why was this important? If you didn't read my previous post, I had a few flat tires racing at Castaic Lake Series 1.


And in addition to those troubles, I took the bike to a shop to get tuned up and checked out for any debris. This was no help as I flatted immediately on my next very ride. So to the clinic I happily went!

At the clinic, certified Tri Coach and Bike Mechanic Ian Murray was present and giving us all the tips on changing out a tire. This was really helpful and gave me a lot of confidence in changing both the front and back tires. But the biggest help was finding this small shard of metal lodged in my tire that lined up perfectly with my flatted tube. I was SO RELIEVED!

But part of that experience was Ian introducing himself, helping me out and then asking me about my racing, comfort and speed. When he found out that I had been having some discomfort in aero and that I was doing IM FL, he immediately said I needed to come in and see him. He apparently could tell that the bike was not adequately fit just from looking at the bike, not even with me on it!

So the second perk I took advantage of was seeing him to get fitted to my bike! Now, this wasn't cheap ($225 with the LATC discount), but it would actually prove IMMEDIATE and HUGE dividends. While Castaic Series 1 and Series 2 were not the exact same course, my avg bike mph went from 13.1 mph to 17.2 mph! A 5 mph increase over a sprint!!! That ended up with a 10 min faster bike split! I can't wait to see what it'll do to my bike times over longer races!

Not only was the speed a benefit, but I definitely felt more comfortable and fresher for the run (although the heat really killed that freshness feeling haha). The comfort is a benefit that will really pay dividends as I get on my bike more in the next month and a half.

But here's a snapshot of the changes Ian made:


It's a very slight and small difference, but every little change can be potentially huge! So things that were pointed out to me by Ian include:
-Raised and forward shifted seat give a more aggressive aero position and angle
-Shortening the seat to handlebar distance puts me in better comfort for aero
-Shoulders above elbow (allowing for right angle in arms) means less effort in aero
-Dropped handlebars help achieve more aggressive aero position
-All adjustments together create a flatter back which is optimal for long term performance

Ian summed it up with the following post:
Joshua Izumigawa was in the TTS Fit Studio today in preparation for IM Florida. Comfort achieved! Seat height up 5mm, seat angle 3deg steeper, Saddle to arm pads 1cm shorter, handlebar elevation 3cm lower. My prediction he just got ~30min faster in one fit.

Another benefit of having 1-on-1 time with a great, chatty coach is that I was able to soak up a lot of additional information for my IM prep:
-Take it easy, pushing at any point during the race will hurt... It's a long race, respect the distance
-Take your time in transition, but don't dilly dally if you'd like a good time
-Stay in aero as much as you can, but get out every once in a while to stretch the muscles
-Try to eat real food on the bike if possible, it'll make stomaching gels for the run much easier
-Get an aero style helmet that's normal (I chose the Giro Air Attack Shield), no need for the silly tail
-Wheels help with time (particularly for Florida), but aren't necessary for the cost
-Take the run easy at first
-Having a good race means running the last 10k
-Enjoy it, take it all in and be proud of what you've trained for and hope to accomplish
-But most of all, RESPECT THE DISTANCE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment